Service for the Lord’s Day, October 23, in the Lord’s Year 2022
20th Sunday after Pentecost
Please speak bold words and sing italicized words. *we invite you to stand if able.
Prelude & Quiet Prayer – five minutes before service (9:55-10:00 am)
Blessed be God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
And blessed be his kingdom, now and forever. Amen.
* Hymn 378 Here, O My Lord, I See Thee Face to Face MORECAMBE
* Confession of Sin: Gracious God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, you have promised to receive us when we come to you. We confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Forgive us, O God, and grant that in the Holy Spirit we may live and serve you in newness of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Declaration of Forgiveness: If you have repented of your sin and turned in faith to Jesus Christ, I can declare through Christ’s atoning death and life-giving resurrection that you are forgiven in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
* New Life in Christ: If you love God, keep his commandments. Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
* Response – Dear Lord and Father of Mankind, verse 1 REST
Dear Lord and Father of Mankind, forgive our foolish ways, reclothe us in a rightful mind, in purer lives thy service find, in deeper reverence, praise.
O Lord, open our lips, and our mouths shall show forth your praise.
* Gloria Patri (Hymn 735) GLORIA PATRI (GREATOREX)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
* The Peace of Christ The peace of Christ be with you. And also with you.
Welcome & Announcements; Scripture & Catechism – see Bell Ringer
Song – Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you. Allelu, alleluia.
Ask and it shall be given unto you, seek and ye shall find. Knock and it shall be opened unto you. Allelu, alleluia.
Gathering Prayer (Collect for Proper 25): Almighty and everlasting God, increase in us the gifts of faith, hope, and charity; and, that we may obtain what you promise, make us love what you command; through Jesus
Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.
Prayer of Illumination: Guide us, O God, by your Word and Spirit, that in your light we may see light, in your truth find wisdom, and in your will discover your peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Reading of the Holy Scriptures
Jeremiah 14:7-10,19-22 2 Timothy 4:6-8,16-18
Psalm 84:1-7 Luke 18:9-14 The Word of the Lord.
Thanks be to God.
Sermon – “The Danger of Giving Thanks from a Distance”
The Apostles’ Creed – hymnal page 845
Offering the Prayers of the People, concluding with The Lord’s Prayer:
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name, Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.
Offering Tithes and Gifts
Offertory (Hymn 729) HERR JESU CHRIST
All things are thine; no gift have we, Lord of all gifts, to offer thee; and hence with grateful hearts today, thine own before thy feet we lay.
* Doxology (Hymn 731) OLD HUNDREDTH
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
* Offertory Prayer: We thank you, O God, for how you provide for all our needs and bless us with even more. We ask that you receive these gifts which we return to you for the sake of your heavenly kingdom, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Hymn 489 Lord, like the Publican I Stand AVONDALE
* Benediction: Go now in the mercy and grace of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.