Ward Hill Church of Christ the King
A Christ-Centered Community of Faith, Hope, & Love
Service for the Lord’s Day, September 25, in the Lord’s Year 2022
16th Sunday after Pentecost
Please speak bold words and sing italicized words. *we invite you to stand if able.
Prelude & Quiet Prayer – five minutes before service (9:55-10:00 am)
Blessed be God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
And blessed be his kingdom, now and forever. Amen.
* Hymn 57 Hallelujah, Praise Jehovah RIPLEY
* Confession of Sin: Gracious God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, you have promised to receive us when we come to you. We confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Forgive us, O God, and grant that in the Holy Spirit we may live and serve you in newness of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Declaration of Forgiveness: If you have repented of your sin and turned in faith to Jesus Christ, I can declare through Christ’s atoning death and life-giving resurrection that you are forgiven in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
* New Life in Christ: If you love God, keep his commandments. Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
* Response – Hymn 681, verse 1 DENNIS
How gentle God’s commands, how kind his precepts are!
Come, cast your burdens on the Lord, and trust his constant care.
O Lord, open our lips, and our mouths shall show forth your praise.
* Gloria Patri (Hymn 735) GLORIA PATRI (GREATOREX)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
* The Peace of Christ The peace of Christ be with you. And also with you.
Welcome & Announcements; Scripture & Catechism – see Bell Ringer
Song – He’s Everything to Me
In the stars His handiwork I see, on the wind He speaks with majesty
Though He ruleth over land and sea, what is that to me?
I will celebrate nativity, for it has a place in history,
Sure He came to set His people free, what is that to me?
‘Til by faith I met Him face to face and I felt the wonder of His grace,
Then I knew that He was more than just a God who didn’t care that lived away out there,
And now He walks beside me day by day, ever watching o’er me lest I stray, helping me to find that narrow way, He’s everything to me.
Gathering Prayer (Collect for Proper 21): O God, you declare your almighty power chiefly in showing mercy and pity: Grant us the fullness of your grace, that we, running to obtain your promises, may become partakers of your heavenly treasure; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.
Prayer of Illumination: Guide us, O God, by your Word and Spirit, that in your light we may see light, in your truth find wisdom, and in your will discover your peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Reading of the Holy Scriptures Amos 6:1a,4-7 1 Timothy 6:6-19
Psalm 146 Luke 16:19-31
The Word of the Lord. Thanks be to God.
Sermon – “The Gulf Between Us”
The Apostles’ Creed – hymnal page 845
Offering the Prayers of the People, concluding with The Lord’s Prayer:
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name, Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.
Offering Tithes and Gifts
Offertory (Hymn 729) HERR JESU CHRIST
All things are thine; no gift have we, Lord of all gifts, to offer thee; and hence with grateful hearts today, thine own before thy feet we lay.
* Doxology (Hymn 731) OLD HUNDREDTH
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
* Offertory Prayer: We thank you, O God, for how you provide for all our needs and bless us with even more. We ask that you receive these gifts which we return to you for the sake of your heavenly kingdom, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Hymn 581 Fight the Good Fight MOZART
* Benediction: Go now in the mercy and grace of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.