Ward Hill Church of Christ the King
A Christ-Centered Community of Faith, Hope, & Love
The Lord’s Day, May 29, in the Lord’s Year 2022
Seventh Sunday of Easter – Ascension Sunday
Please speak bold words and sing italicized words. *we invite you to stand if able.
Prelude & Quiet Prayer – five minutes before service (9:55-10:00 am)
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Christ is Risen and Ascended!
He sits at the right hand of the Father and rules over all. Alleluia! Amen!
* Hymn 290 Hail the Day That Sees Him Rise LLANFAIR
* Confession of Sin: Gracious God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, you have promised to receive us when we come to you. We confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Forgive us, O God, and grant that in the Holy Spirit we may live and serve you in newness of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Declaration of Forgiveness: If you have repented of your sin and turned in faith to Jesus Christ, I can declare through Christ’s atoning death and life-giving resurrection that you are forgiven in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
* New Life in Christ: If you love God, keep his commandments. Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
* Response (Hymn 494, verse 4) Forgive Our Sins as We Forgive DOVE OF PEACE
Lord, cleanse the depths within our souls, and bid resentment cease; then, reconciled to God and man our lives will spread your peace.
O Lord, open our lips, and our mouths shall show forth your praise.
* Gloria Patri (Hymn 735) GLORIA PATRI (GREATOREX)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
* The Peace of Christ Christ is Risen and Ascended!
He is risen and ascended indeed!
The peace of the Risen and Ascended Christ be with you. And also with you.
Welcome & Announcements; Scripture & Catechism – see Bell Ringer
Westminster Shorter Catechism Questions 1-3 – hymnal page 869
Memorial Day – Honoring Those Who Gave Their Lives for Their Country
Hymn 287 Morning Sun MUSIC ANNO DOMINI
Gathering Prayer (Collect for Easter VII): O God, the King of glory, you have exalted your only Son Jesus Christ with great triumph to your kingdom in heaven: Do not leave us comfortless, but send us your Holy Spirit to strengthen us, and exalt us to that place where our Savior Christ has gone before; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.
The Reading of the Holy Scriptures
Prayer of Illumination: Guide us, O God, by your Word and Spirit, that in your light we may see light, in your truth find wisdom, and in your will discover your peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Acts 16:16-34 Psalm 97
Revelation 22:12-21 John 17:20-26 The Word of the Lord.
Thanks be to God.
Sermon – “Freedom in the Name of Christ!”
The Apostles’ Creed – I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth: And in Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son, our Lord; Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried; He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from there he shall come to judge the living and the dead: I believe in the Holy Spirit; I believe in the holy catholic church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
Prayers of Thanksgiving, Petition, and Intercession
The Lord’s Prayer – Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name,
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.
Offertory (Hymn 729) HERR JESU CHRIST
All things are thine; no gift have we, Lord of all gifts, to offer thee; and hence with grateful hearts today, thine own before thy feet we lay.
* Doxology (Hymn 731) OLD HUNDREDTH
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
* Offertory Prayer
* Hymn 289 A Hymn of Glory Let Us Sing LASST UNS ERFREUEN
On Memorial Day weekend, we remember all those who sacrificed their lives in service to the United States of America. We honor their memories and pray for their loved ones.
We are grateful.
Prayer for Those Searching for Truth – Lord Jesus, you claim to be the Way, the Truth and the Life. If what you claim is true, please guide me, teach me, and open to me the reality of who you are. Grant that I might be undaunted by the cost of following you as I consider the reasons for doing so. Give me an understanding for you that is coherent, convincing, and that leads to the life that you promise. Amen.
Prayer of Belief – Lord Jesus, I admit that I am weaker and more sinful than I ever before believed, but through you, I am more loved and accepted than I ever dared to hope. I thank you for your work of redemption on the cross and the forgiveness and new life you give. Knowing that you have been raised from the dead, I turn from my sins and receive you as my Lord and Savior. Amen.
Prayer for Those Struggling with Sin – Lord Jesus, grant that I may see in you the fulfillment of all my needs, and may turn from every false satisfaction to feed on you, the true and living bread. Enable me to lay aside the sin that clings so closely, and run with perseverance the race set before me, looking only to you, the author and finisher of my faith. Amen.
Prayer of Commitment – Lord Jesus, you have called us to follow you in baptism and in a life of committed discipleship in your church. Grant that I may take the necessary steps to be one with your people, and live in the fullness of your Spirit. Amen.