The Lord’s Day, May 8, in the Lord’s Year 2022
Fourth Sunday of Easter
Christ the Good Shepherd Sunday
Please speak bold words and sing italicized words. *we invite you to stand if able.
Prelude & Quiet Prayer – five minutes before service (9:55-10:00 am)
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Christ is Risen! He is risen indeed! Alleluia! Alleluia! Amen!
* Hymn 184 The King of Love My Shepherd Is DOMINUS REGIT ME
* Confession of Sin: Gracious God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, you have promised to receive us when we come to you. We confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Forgive us, O God, and grant that in the Holy Spirit we may live and serve you in newness of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Declaration of Forgiveness: If you have repented of your sin and turned in faith to Jesus Christ, I can declare through Christ’s atoning death and life-giving resurrection that you are forgiven in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
* New Life in Christ: If you love God, keep his commandments. Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
* Response (Hymn 494, verse 4) DOVE OF PEACE
“Forgive our sins as we forgive,” you taught us, Lord, to pray; but you alone can give us grace to live the words we say, to live the words we say.
O Lord, open our lips, and our mouths shall show forth your praise.
* Gloria Patri (Hymn 735) GLORIA PATRI (GREATOREX)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
* The Peace of Christ Christ is Risen! He is risen indeed!
The peace of the Good Shepherd Jesus be with you. And also with you.
Welcome & Announcements; Scripture & Catechism – see Bell Ringer
Honoring and Praying for Mothers
Hymn Faith of Our Mothers (Hymn tune on p. 570) ST CATHERINE
Faith of our mothers, loving faith, fount of our childhood’s trust and grace,
Oh, may thy consecration prove, source of a finer, nobler race:
Faith of our mothers, living faith! We will be true to thee till death.
Faith of our mothers, guiding faith, for youthful longing, youthful doubt,
How blurred our vision, blind our way, thy providential care without:
Faith of our mothers, guiding faith! We will be true to thee till death.
* Hymn 288 Jesus Christ Has Triumphed Now RESURRECITON (WILSON)
Gathering Prayer (Collect for Easter IV): O God, whose Son Jesus is the good shepherd of your people; Grant that when we hear his voice we may know him who calls us each by name, and follow where he leads; who, with you and the Holy Spirit, lives and reigns, one God, forever and ever. Amen.
The Reading of the Holy Scriptures
Prayer of Illumination: Guide us, O God, by your Word and Spirit, that in your light we may see light, in your truth find wisdom, and in your will discover your peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Psalm 23 Hymn 87 The Lord’s My Shepherd, I’ll Not Want CRIMOND
John 10:22-30 The Word of the Lord. Thanks be to God.
Sermon – “Get Up!”
The Apostles’ Creed – I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth: And in Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son, our Lord; Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried; He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from there he shall come to judge the living and the dead: I believe in the Holy Spirit; I believe in the holy catholic church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
Prayers of Thanksgiving, Petition, and Intercession
The Lord’s Prayer – Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name,
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.
Offertory (Hymn 729) HERR JESU CHRIST
All things are thine; no gift have we, Lord of all gifts, to offer thee; and hence with grateful hearts today, thine own before thy feet we lay.
* Doxology (Hymn 731) OLD HUNDREDTH
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
* Offertory Prayer
* Hymn 533 I Am Thine, O Lord, I Have Hear Thy Voice I AM THINE