The Lord’s Day, April 24, in the Lord’s Year 2022
Second Sunday of Easter – The Confession of Saint Thomas
Please speak bold words and sing italicized words. *we invite you to stand if able.
Prelude & Quiet Prayer – five minutes before service (9:55-10:00 am)
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Christ is Risen! He is risen indeed! Alleluia! Alleluia! Amen!
* Hymn 266 Come, Ye Faithful Raise the Strain ST KEVIN
* Confession of Sin: Gracious God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, you have promised to receive us when we come to you. We confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Forgive us, O God, and grant that in the Holy Spirit we may live and serve you in newness of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Declaration of Forgiveness: If you have repented of your sin and turned in faith to Jesus Christ, I can declare through Christ’s atoning death and life-giving resurrection that you are forgiven in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
* New Life in Christ: If you love God, keep his commandments. Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
* Response (Hymn 267, verse 2) LANCASHIRE
Our hearts be pure from evil, that we may see aright the Lord in rays eternal of resurrection light; and listening to his accents, may hear, so calm and plain, his own “All Hail!” and hearing, may raise the victor strain.
O Lord, open our lips, and our mouths shall show forth your praise.
* Gloria Patri (Hymn 735) GLORIA PATRI (GREATOREX)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
* The Peace of Christ Christ is Risen! He is risen indeed!
The peace of the Risen Christ be with you. And also with you.
Welcome & Announcements; Scripture & Catechism – see Bell Ringer
Hymn 287 Morning Sun MUSIC ANNO DOMINI
Song –Lord, I lift Your name on high, Lord, I love to sing Your praises,
I’m so glad You’re in my life, I’m so glad You came to save us.
You came from Heaven to earth to show the way, from the earth to the cross,
My debt to pay, from the cross to the grave, from the grave to the sky
Lord, I lift Your name on high.
Gathering Prayer (Collect for Easter II): Almighty and everlasting God, who in the Paschal mystery established the new covenant of reconciliation: Grant that all who have been reborn into the fellowship of Christ’s Body may show forth in their lives what they profess by their faith; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.
The Reading of the Holy Scriptures
Prayer of Illumination: Guide us, O God, by your Word and Spirit, that in your light we may see light, in your truth find wisdom, and in your will discover your peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Acts 5:27-32 Psalm 150
Revelation 1:4-8 John 20:19-31 The Word of the Lord.
Thanks be to God.
Hymn 272 O Sons and Daughters, Let Us Sing O FILII ET FILIAE
Sermon – “Man’s Deeds and God’s Redemption”
The Apostles’ Creed
I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:
And in Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son, our Lord; Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried; He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from there he shall come to judge the living and the dead:
I believe in the Holy Spirit; I believe in the holy catholic church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
Prayers of Thanksgiving, Petition, and Intercession
The Lord’s Prayer – Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name,
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.
Offertory (Hymn 729) HERR JESU CHRIST
All things are thine; no gift have we, Lord of all gifts, to offer thee; and hence with grateful hearts today, thine own before thy feet we lay.
* Doxology (Hymn 731) OLD HUNDREDTH
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
* Offertory Prayer
* Hymn 450 So Send I You SO SEND I YOU