Ward Hill Church of Christ the King
A Christ-Centered Community of Faith, Hope, & Love
The Lord’s Day, April 10, in the Lord’s Year 2022
Please speak bold words and sing italicized words. *we invite you to stand if able.
Prelude & Quiet Prayer – five minutes before service (9:55-10:00 am)
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord.
Peace in heaven and glory in the highest. Amen.
* Processional Psalm 118 – I will enter his gates with thanksgiving in my heart, I will enter his courts with praise. I will say this is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice for he has made me glad.
* Hymn 235 All Glory, Laud, and Honor ST THEODULPH
* Confession of Sin: Gracious God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, you have promised to receive us when we come to you. We confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Forgive us, O God, and grant that in the Holy Spirit we may live and serve you in newness of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Declaration of Forgiveness in Christ: If you have repented of your sin and turned in faith to Jesus Christ, I can declare through Christ’s atoning death and life-giving resurrection that you are forgiven in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
* New Life in Christ: If you love God, keep his commandments. After God had delivered the Israelites, he gave them The Ten Commandments:
I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Honour thy father and thy mother.
Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. Thou shalt not covet.
* Response (Hymn 252, verse 4) HAMBURG
Were the whole realm of nature mine, that were a present far too small; love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all.
O Lord, open our lips, and our mouths shall show forth your praise.
*Gloria Patri (Hymn 735) GLORIA PATRI (GREATOREX)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen, amen.
* The Peace of Christ The peace of Christ be with you. And also with you.
Announcements, Scripture Memory, & Catechism – see Bell Ringer
Choral Anthem Shout for Joy, Jerusalem McMahan, arr. Pethel
Hymn 260 Were You There? WERE YOU THERE
Prayer of Gathering (Collect for Palm Sunday): Almighty and ever-living God, in your tender love for the human race you sent your Son our Savior Jesus Christ to take upon him our nature, and to suffer death upon the cross, giving us the example of his great humility: Mercifully grant that we may walk in the way of his suffering, and also share in his resurrection; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.
The Reading of the Holy Scriptures
Prayer of Illumination: Guide us, O God, by your Word and Spirit, that in your light we may see light, in your truth find wisdom, and in your will discover your peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Psalm 31:9-16 Tune: PASSION CHORALE (“O Sacred Head, Now Wounded”)
O Lord, have mercy on me, for I am in distress;
From grief my eye is wasted; my soul and body, too.
My life is spent with sorrow, my years are spent with sighs;
My strength fails, I am sinful, my bones all waste away.
My foes find me disgraceful, my neighbors wag their heads,
Acquaintances all dread me, those in the street take flight.
Like dead ones I’m forgotten, I’m like a broken pot.
I heard much evil gossip, “Terror on every side!”
They counseled long against me and planned to take my life.
Lord, I have trusted in you; I cry, “You are my God.”
My times are in your hands, Lord; save me from all my foes.
Show favor to your servant, and save me by your grace.
Luke 19:28-40 The Word of the Lord. Thanks be to God.
Hymn 163 At the Name of Jesus KING’S WESTON
Sermon – “Advancing Against the Enemy”
The Apostles’ Creed – hymnal page 845
I believe in God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son, our Lord,
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary,
Suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, deed, and buried;
He descended into Hell, on the third day he rose again from the dead;
He ascended into Heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the God the
Father almighty; from there he shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, I believe the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen, amen.
Prayers of Thanksgiving, Petition, and Intercession, and the Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name,
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.
Offertory (Hymn 729) HERR JESU CHRIST
All things are thine; no gift have we, Lord of all gifts, to offer thee; and hence with grateful hearts today, thine own before thy feet we lay.
* Doxology (Hymn 731) OLD HUNDREDTH
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
* Offertory Prayer
* Hymn 182 My Song Is Love Unknown LOVE UNKNOWN