Ward Hill Church of Christ the King – A Christ-Centered Community of Faith, Hope, & Love
The Lord’s Day, March 21, in the Lord’s Year 2021 – Fifth Sunday in Lent
Please speak bold words and sing italicized words; * we invite you to stand as able.
Prelude & Quiet Prayer – five minutes before service (9:55-10:00 am)
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Bless the Lord who forgives all our sins. His mercy endures forever.
* Hymn 263 Lift High the Cross CRUCIFER
Being Reconciled to God and One Another
* Confession of Sin: Gracious God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, you have promised to receive us when we come to you. We confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Forgive us, O God, and grant that in the Holy Spirit we may live and serve you in newness of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Declaration of Forgiveness in Christ: If you have repented of your sin and turned in faith to Jesus Christ, I can declare through Christ’s atoning death and life-giving resurrection that you are forgiven in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
* New Life in Christ: If you love God, keep his commandments. After God had delivered the Israelites, he gave them The Ten Commandments:
I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Honour thy father and thy mother.
Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. Thou shalt not covet.
* Response (Hymn 611, verse 1) WALK WITH ME
I want Jesus to walk with me; I want Jesus to walk with me; all along my pilgrim journey, Lord, I want Jesus to walk with me.
O Lord, open our lips, and our mouths shall show forth your praise.
*Gloria Patri (Hymn 735) GLORIA PATRI (GREATOREX)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen, amen.
* The Peace of Christ The peace of Christ be with you. And also with you.
Announcements, Scripture Memory, & Catechism – see Bell Ringer
Preparing to Hear God
Song – Morning has broken, like the first morning, blackbird has spoken, like the first bird. Praise for the singing, praise for the morning, praise for the springing fresh from the world.
Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning, born of the one light Eden saw play.
Praise with elation, praise every morning, God’s re-creation of the new day.
Collect for Lent V: Almighty God, you alone can bring into order the unruly wills and affections of sinners: Grant your people grace to love what you command and desire what you promise; that, among the swift and varied changes of the world, our hearts may surely there be fixed where true joys are to be found; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.
Hearing God in the Holy Scriptures
Jeremiah 31:31-34 Psalm 119:9-16 The Word of the Lord.
Hebrews 5:5-10 John 12:20-33 Thanks be to God.
Sermon– “Renewed and Improved” Sermon Series: Covenant Renewal
Answering God in Faith, Prayer, and Giving
The Apostles’ Creed – hymnal page 845
Prayers of the People
The Lord’s Prayer: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name, Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.
Offering Ourselves and Our Gifts
Offertory (Hymn 729) HERR JESU CHRIST
All things are thine; no gift have we, Lord of all gifts, to offer thee; and hence with grateful hearts today, thine own before thy feet we lay.
* Doxology (Hymn 731) OLD HUNDREDTH
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
* Offertory Prayer
Being Sent with God’s Blessing into the World
* Hymn 252 When I Survey the Wondrous Cross HAMBURG