Ward Hill Church of Christ the King – A Christ-Centered Community of Faith, Hope, & Love
The Lord’s Day, February 21, in the Lord’s Year 2021 – First Sunday in Lent
Please speak bold words and sing italicized words; * we invite you to stand as able.
Prelude & Quiet Prayer – five minutes before service (9:55-10:00 am)
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Bless the Lord who forgives all our sins. His mercy endures forever.
* Hymn 598 Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah CWM RHONDDA
Being Reconciled to God and One Another
* Confession of Sin: Gracious God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, you have promised to receive us when we come to you. We confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Forgive us, O God, and grant that in the Holy Spirit we may live and serve you in newness of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Declaration of Forgiveness in Christ: If you have repented of your sin and turned in faith to Jesus Christ, I can declare through Christ’s atoning death and life-giving resurrection that you are forgiven in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
* New Life in Christ: If you love God, keep his commandments. After God had delivered the Israelites, he gave them The Ten Commandments:
I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Honour thy father and thy mother. Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. Thou shalt not covet.
* Response (Hymn 611, verse 1) WALK WITH ME
I want Jesus to walk with me; I want Jesus to walk with me; all along my pilgrim journey, Lord, I want Jesus to walk with me.
O Lord, open our lips, and our mouths shall show forth your praise.
*Gloria Patri (Hymn 735) GLORIA PATRI (GREATOREX)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen, amen.
* The Peace of Christ The peace of Christ be with you. And also with you.
Announcements, Scripture Memory, & Catechism – see Bell Ringer
Preparing to Hear God
Songs – Change my heart, O God; make it ever true. Change my heart, O God; may I be like you. You are the Potter; I am the clay. Mold me and make me; this is what I say. Cambiame, Señor. con tu gran poder, hazme como tú, tuyo quiero ser. Tú el alfarero, yo el barro soy. Sólo tu imagen, quiero siempre ser.
Throughout these Lenten days and nights we turn to walk the inward way,
Where, meeting Christ, our guide and light, we live in hope till Easter day.
The pilgrim Christ, the Lamb of God, who found in weakness greater power,
Embraces us though lost and flawed, and leads us to his rising hour.
We bear in silence, cross and pain of human burdens, human strife,
While sisters, brothers help sustain our courage till the feast of life.
And though the road is hard and steep, the Spirit ever calls us on,
Through Calvary’s dying, dark and deep, until we see the coming dawn.
So let us choose the path of One who wore for us the crown of thorn,
And slept in death that we might wake to life on Resurrection Morn!
Collect for Lent I: Almighty God, whose blessed Son was led by the Spirit to be tempted by Satan; Come quickly to help us who are assaulted by many temptations; and, as you know the weaknesses of each of us, let each one find you mighty to save; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.
Hearing God in the Holy Scriptures
Genesis 9:8-17 Psalm 25:1-10
1 Peter 3:18-22 Mark 1:9-15 The Word of the Lord. Thanks be to God.
Sermon – “Water Refreshment” Sermon Series: Covenant Renewal
Answering God in Faith, Prayer, and Giving
The Apostles’ Creed – hymnal page 845
Prayers of the People, concluding with The Lord’s Prayer (‘debts’)
Offering Ourselves and Our Gifts
Offertory (Hymn 729) HERR JESU CHRIST
All things are thine; no gift have we, Lord of all gifts, to offer thee; and hence with grateful hearts today, thine own before thy feet we lay.
* Doxology (Hymn 731) OLD HUNDREDTH
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
* Offertory Prayer
Being Sent with God’s Blessing into the World
* Hymn 654 O Jesus, I Have Promised ANGEL’S STORY