Ward Hill Church of Christ the King – A Christ-Centered Community of Faith, Hope, & Love
The Lord’s Day, January 31, in the Lord’s Year 2021 – 4th Sunday after the Epiphany – Church Covenant Sunday
Please speak bold words and sing italicized words; * we invite you to stand as able.
Prelude & Quiet Prayer – five minutes before service (9:55-10:00 am)
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Arise, shine, for your light is come. And the glory of the Lord rises upon you.
* Hymn 347, vv. 1,4 & 6 The Church’s One Foundation AURELIA
Being Reconciled to God and One Another
* Confession of Sin: Gracious God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, you have promised to receive us when we come to you. We confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Forgive us, O God, and grant that in the Holy Spirit we may live and serve you in newness of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Declaration of Forgiveness in Christ: If you have repented of your sin and turned in faith to Jesus Christ, I can declare through Christ’s atoning death and life-giving resurrection that you are forgiven in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
* New Life in Christ: If you love God, keep his commandments. Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
* Response(Red Hymnal 429, verse 1) MARYTON
O Master, let me walk with thee in lowly paths of service free; tell me thy secret; help me bear the strain of toil, the fret of care.
O Lord, open our lips, and our mouths shall show forth your praise.
*Gloria Patri (Hymn 735) GLORIA PATRI (GREATOREX)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen, amen.
* The Peace of Christ The peace of Christ be with you. And also with you.
Announcements, Scripture Memory, & Catechism – see Bell Ringer
Preparing to Hear God
Song – In your church, Lord, be glorified, be glorified, in your church,
Lord, be glorified today. In our lives… In this world…
Collect for 4 Epiphany: Almighty and everlasting God, you govern all things both in heaven and on earth: Mercifully hear the supplications of your people, and in our time grant us your peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Hearing God in the Holy Scriptures
Deuteronomy 18:15-20 Psalm 111 The Word of the Lord.
1 Corinthians 8:1-13 Mark 1:21-28 Thanks be to God.
Sermon – “The Power to Be True”
Answering God in Faith, Prayer, and Giving
The Apostles’ Creed – hymnal page 845
The Covenant of Ward Hill Church of Christ the King
I. Having been led by the Holy Spirit to receive Jesus Christ as Savior and to confess him as Lord, and having been baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, we do hereby, in the presence of God and this assembly, most solemnly and joyfully covenant with one another, as one body in Christ, to lead a life worthy of the Lord and fully pleasing to him.
II. We promise that we will watch over and counsel one another in the spirit of brotherly love; that we will remember one another in our prayers and aid each other in sickness and distress; and that we will cooperate in the total mission of winning others to Jesus Christ.
III. We further agree by the aid of the Holy Spirit to strive for the advancement and purity of this church; to support and promote its work, spiritually and materially; to attend its worship services and unite in its ordinances, always giving it a sacred priority over all institutions of human origin.
IV. We will endeavor to live exemplary Christian lives to study and grow in the knowledge and practice of our faith, and to promote the Christian education of our children in the home and in the fellowship of this church. We also agree that when we move from this place, we will as soon as possible unite with some other church where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of the Word of God.
Hymn 355 We Are God’s People SYMPHONY
Prayers of the People, concluding with The Lord’s Prayer (‘debts’)
Offertory (Hymn 729) HERR JESU CHRIST
All things are thine; no gift have we, Lord of all gifts, to offer thee; and hence with grateful hearts today, thine own before thy feet we lay.
* Doxology (Hymn 731) OLD HUNDREDTH
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
* Offertory Prayer
Being Sent with God’s Blessing into the World
* Hymn 591 Jesus Calls Us GALILEE