Ward Hill Church of Christ the King – A Christ-Centered Community of Faith, Hope, & Love
The Lord’s Day, January 24, in the Lord’s Year 2021 – 3rd Sunday after the Epiphany – Sanctity of Human Life Sunday
Please speak bold words and sing italicized words; * we invite you to stand as able.
Prelude & Quiet Prayer – five minutes before service (9:55-10:00 am)
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Arise, shine, for your light is come. And the glory of the Lord rises upon you.
* Hymn 345, vv. 1 & 4 Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken AUSTRIAN HYMN
Being Reconciled to God and One Another
* Confession of Sin: Gracious God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, you have promised to receive us when we come to you. We confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Forgive us, O God, and grant that in the Holy Spirit we may live and serve you in newness of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Declaration of Forgiveness in Christ: If you have repented of your sin and turned in faith to Jesus Christ, I can declare through Christ’s atoning death and life-giving resurrection that you are forgiven in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
* New Life in Christ: If you love God, keep his commandments. Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
* Response (Red Hymnal 429, verse 1) MARYTON
O Master, let me walk with thee in lowly paths of service free; tell me thy secret; help me bear the strain of toil, the fret of care.
O Lord, open our lips, and our mouths shall show forth your praise.
*Gloria Patri (Hymn 735) GLORIA PATRI (GREATOREX)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen, amen.
* The Peace of Christ The peace of Christ be with you. And also with you.
Announcements, Scripture Memory, & Catechism – see Bell Ringer
Preparing to Hear God
Hymn 597 Though I May Speak with Bravest Fire GIFT OF LOVE
Collect for 3 Epiphany: Give us grace, O Lord, to answer readily the call of our Savior Jesus Christ and proclaim to all people the Good News of his salvation, that we and the whole world may perceive the glory of his marvelous works; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.
Hearing God in the Holy Scriptures
Jonah 3:1-5,10 Psalm 62:5-12 The Word of the Lord.
1 Corinthians 7:29-31 Mark 1:14-20 Thanks be to God.
Sermon – “Yes, His Love Is Everlasting, But the Time to Follow Is Now”
Answering God in Faith, Prayer, and Giving
The Apostles’ Creed – hymnal page 845
Prayers of the People, concluding with The Lord’s Prayer (‘debts’)
Litany Prayer for the Sanctity of Human Life
God formed man from the dust of the earth and breathed into man the Breath of Life.
We praise God for His gift of life to man and woman and are thankful that life is precious and holy in His sight.
We praise God for the gift of life and the courage to embrace it, protect it, and honor it.
We offer prayers of thanksgiving to honor the sanctity of human life. We ask God to bless all who bring life into the world.
O God, You are the Giver of all life. You bring each person into being, sealed with divine and infinite love from the time of conception.
Enable us to cherish and protect each precious life.
God, our Creator, guard the life of each unborn child. O Lord, hear our prayer.
Help us to see your handprint on everyone you have created. O Lord, hear our prayer.
Protect the vulnerable and needy in our nation today. O Lord, hear our prayer.
Strengthen those who tirelessly work to preserve life. O Lord, hear our prayer.
May our nation and the world turn to abundant life in You. O Lord, hear our prayer.
We ask these things through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Offertory (Hymn 729) HERR JESU CHRIST
All things are thine; no gift have we, Lord of all gifts, to offer thee; and hence with grateful hearts today, thine own before thy feet we lay.
* Doxology (Hymn 731) OLD HUNDREDTH
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
* Offertory Prayer
Being Sent with God’s Blessing into the World
* Hymnal 131 Children of the Heavenly Father TRYGGARE KAN INGEN VARA