Ward Hill Church of Christ the King
A Christ-Centered Community of Faith, Hope, & Love
The Lord’s Day, December 27, in the Lord’s Year 2020 – Christmas Sunday
First Sunday after Christmas Day – 3rd Day of Christmas
Please speak bold words and sing italicized words; * we invite you to stand as able.
Prelude & Quiet Prayer – five minutes before service (9:55-10:00 am)
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
In Jesus is life, the life that is the light of all people.
Jesus is the true light which enlightens everyone, and he has come
into the world.
* Hymn 214 Angels We Have Heard on High GLORIA
Being Reconciled to God and One Another
* Confession of Sin: Gracious God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, you have promised to receive us when we come to you. We confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Forgive us, O God, and grant that in the Holy Spirit we may live and serve you in newness of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Declaration of Forgiveness in Christ: If you have repented of your sin and turned in faith to Jesus Christ, I can declare through Christ’s atoning death and life-giving resurrection that you are forgiven in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
* New Life in Christ: If you love God, keep his commandments. Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
* Christmas Response (Hymn 207, verses 1 & 2) IN DULCI JUBILO
Good Christian men, rejoice, with heart and soul and voice; give ye heed to what we say: Jesus Christ is born today; earth and heav’n before him bow, and he is in the manger now. Christ is born today! Christ is born today!
Good Christian men, rejoice, with heart and soul and voice; now ye hear of endless bliss: Jesus Christ was born for this! He hath opened heaven’s door, and man is blessed evermore. Christ was born for this! Christ was born for this!
O Lord, open our lips, and our mouths shall show forth your praise.
*Gloria Patri (Hymn 735) GLORIA PATRI (GREATOREX)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen, amen.
* The Peace of Christ The peace of Christ be with you. And also with you.
Announcements, Scripture Memory, & Catechism – see Bell Ringer
Hearing God by Word and Spirit
Collect for Christmas Sunday: Almighty God, you have poured upon us the new light of your incarnate Word: Grant that this light, enkindled in our hearts, may shine forth in our lives; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.
The Holy Scriptures Jeremiah 31:7-14 Psalm 148
Galatians 4:4-7 Luke 2:21-40
The Word of the Lord. Thanks be to God.
Sermon – “More Than a Bucket List”
Answering God in Faith, Prayer, and Giving
The Apostles’ Creed – hymnal page 845
Prayers of Thanksgiving, Petition & Intercession, & Lord’s Prayer (debts)
* Offertory (Hymn 729) HERR JESU CHRIST
All things are thine; no gift have we, Lord of all gifts, to offer thee; and hence with grateful hearts today, thine own before thy feet we lay.
* Doxology (Hymn 731) OLD HUNDREDTH
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
* Offertory Prayer
Being Sent with God’s Blessing into the World
* Hymn 224 Go, Tell It on the Mountain GO TELL IT