The Lord’s Day, December 13, 2020 – Third Sunday of Advent: Joy
Please speak bold words and sing italicized words; * we invite you to stand as able.
Prelude & Quiet Prayer – five minutes before service (9:55-10:00 am)
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
The Spirit and the church cry out: Come, Lord Jesus.
All those who await his appearance pray: Come, Lord Jesus.
The whole creation pleads: Come, Lord Jesus.
* Hymn 320 Rejoice, All Ye Believers LANCASHIRE
Being Reconciled to God and One Another
* Confession of Sin: Gracious God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, you have promised to receive us when we come to you. We confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Forgive us, O God, and grant that in the Holy Spirit we may live and serve you in newness of life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Declaration of Forgiveness & New Life in Christ: If you have repented of your sin and turned in faith to Jesus Christ, I can declare through Christ’s atoning death and life-giving resurrection that you are forgiven in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. If you love God, keep his commandments. Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
* Advent Response (Hymn 194, verses 1 and 4) VENI EMMANUEL
O come, O come Emmanuel, and ransom captive Israel, that mourns in lonely exile here, until the Son of God appear. Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.
O come, thou Dayspring from on high, and cheer us by thy drawing nigh; disperse the gloomy clouds of night, and death’s dark shadows put to flight. Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.
O Lord, open our lips, and our mouths shall show forth your praise.
* Gloria Patri (Hymn 735) GLORIA PATRI (GREATOREX)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen, amen.
* The Peace of Christ The peace of Christ be with you. And also with you.
Welcome & Announcements; Scripture & Catechism – see Bell Ringer
Hearing God by Word and Spirit
Collect for Advent III: Stir up your power, O Lord, and with great might come among us; and, because we are sorely hindered by our sins, let your bountiful grace and mercy speedily help and deliver us; through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom, with you and the Holy Spirit, be honor and glory, now and forever. Amen.
The Holy Scriptures Isaiah 61:1-4,8-11 Psalm 126
1 Thessalonians 5:16-24 John 1:6-8,19-28
The Word of the Lord. Thanks be to God.
Sermon – “Deck Yourselves with Boughs of Jolly: A Year of Joy Awaits”
Answering God in Faith, Prayer, and Giving
The Apostles’ Creed – hymnal page 845
Prayers of Thanksgiving, Petition & Intercession, & Lord’s Prayer (debts)
* Offertory (Hymn 729) HERR JESU CHRIST
All things are thine; no gift have we, Lord of all gifts, to offer thee; and hence with grateful hearts today, thine own before thy feet we lay.
* Doxology (Hymn 731) OLD HUNDREDTH
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
* Offertory Prayer
Being Sent with God’s Blessing into the World
* Hymn 195 Joy to the World ANTIOCH