The Ward Hill Church Bell Ringer
March 15, 2020 – Third Sunday in Lent
UPDATE: We do not have service on Sunday, March 15. Please stay tuned for the status of future Sunday services. Until further notice, we will also not meet on Wednesday evenings.
Given the national and global precautions taken for the novel coronavirus, let us consider how we might help prevent illness here at Ward Hill Church. If you are sick, even with just what seems to be a common cold, staying at home is the right choice. At greeting time, opt for a smile and perhaps a hand over your heart instead of shaking hands or hugging. Also, keep some distance when talking. Let us pray for God’s protection and his mercy for all throughout the world, especially those who are most vulnerable.
Church Calendar & Lectionary
Season: Lent – 40 days and 6 Sundays prior to Easter (Feb 26-Apr 11, 2020)
Color: Purple – for repentance
Today: Third Sunday in Lent
Sun, Mar 22: Fourth Sunday in Lent
Lectionary: 1 Samuel 16:1-13; Psalm 23; Ephesians 5:8-14; John 9:1-41
Hymns: 252 – When I Survey the Wondrous Cross; 86 – The Lord’s My
Shepherd, I’ll Not Want; 251 – Beneath the Cross of Jesus
Monthly Prayer Focus for March
Local Church Focus: Sacred Hearts Parish, Bradford – Fr Delaney, pastor
Missions Focus: Community Meals and Somebody Cares New England
Community Resources – Food, Clothing, Shelter, & Other Help www.communityactioninc.org/phocadownload/resource_guide_english_october_2017.pdf National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Refugee Ministries: Interserve USA (interserveusa.com); Emmanuel Gospel Center’s Greater Boston Refugee Ministry (http://www.egc.org/refugee)
Global Crisis Help: World Relief – worldrelief.org
Information on Persecuted Christians: Open Doors USA – opendoorsusa.org
Monthly Scripture Memory for March
Romans 5:6-8 (ESV) – 6 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— 8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Grapes on the Vine Scripture Memory – due Mar 1
Matthew 4:3-4 – The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the son of God, tell these stones to become bread.” Jesus answered, “It is written. Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.”
Catechism: An Outline of the Faith
- What is the Church?
- The Church is the community of the New Covenant.
- How is the Church described in the Bible?
- The Church is described as the Body of which Jesus Christ is the Head and of which all baptized persons are members. It is called the People of God, the New Israel, a holy nation, a royal priesthood, and the pillar and ground of truth.
- How is the Church described in the creeds?
- The Church is described as one, holy, catholic, and apostolic.
- Why is the Church described as one?
- The Church is one, because it is one Body, under one Head, our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Why is the Church described as holy?
- The Church is holy, because the Holy Spirit dwells in it, consecrates its members, and guides them to do God’s work.
- Why is the Church described as catholic?
- The Church is catholic, because it proclaims the whole Faith to all people, to the end of time.
- Why is the Church described as apostolic?
- The Church is apostolic, because it continues in the teaching and fellowship of the apostles and is sent to carry out Christ’s mission to all people.
Ward Hill Church of Christ the King
A Christ-Centered Community of Faith, Hope, & Love
63 L St, Ward Hill, Massachusetts 01835; Pastor Alex Burgess – Tel. 978-489-9941
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org Web site – wardhillchurch.org
Facebook – facebook.com/wardhillchurch Twitter – @wardhillchurch
Sunday Service – Lord’s Days at 10 am
A worship service with a sermon. The Lord’s Supper is usually celebrated on
the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month.
Grapes on the Vine Sunday School – Sundays from 11 am to Noon
Fellowship w/ Coffee & Snacks – 11–11:25 / Gathering Songs – 11:25-11:30
Classes for Children and Sermon Discussion for Adults – 11:30-Noon
Midweek Meeting – Wednesdays at 7 pm
Midweek Meeting is an hour devoted to prayer and/or Bible study. Some
Wednesdays, as announced, include a potluck supper at 6 pm.
Choir Rehearsal – Sundays at 9:15 am